Sustainability science and management for resilient coastal communities and fishing stocks
The November school SMART will be run in a hybrid format, with teachers and resources persons mostly present at the school venue in Mazara del Vallo (Italy) and most of the audience participating online. It will include lectures, online discussions and skill training, and two group projects involving the students working at the school venue as well as ones following this online and exploring cases in Malaysia and Vietnam.
The topics the school will explore are:
– Resilience of coastal communities – socioeconomic and biophysical drivers, including the trade-offs between the multiple uses of marine and coastal resources
– Planning perspective on coastal sustainable development, including the tourism related urban sprawl, accounting for competing multiple uses, and coastal defense
– Bioeconomics on the interface of the sea and terrain
– Integrative sustainable coastal management and governance
– Sustainability indicators for coastal communities, and coastal and marine ecosystems
– Field methods for coastal ecological research
– Marine biological resources, their stocks and sustainable management
– Remote sensing methods for exploring coastal and marine sustainability
– “Kind city” as a model for sustainable development of a coastal urban community
– Management of fishing stock for sustainable field
The main teaching period is November 1-7, 2021, and a post-school of November 8-14 allocated for tutoring, independent project work and the graduation. We expect a large international audience to attend online. Our capacity is limited to 50 participants; most of the audience is expected to represent MARE and URGENT Erasmus+ projects, including both the representatives of EU universities as well as India, Malaysia and Vietnam.
The November School is prepared by Istituto per lo studio degli impatti Antropici e Sostenibilità in ambiente marino (Capo Granitola, Italy), Istituto per le Risorse Biologiche e le Biotecnologie Marine (Mazara del Vallo, Italy), University of Catania (Italy), University of Bremen (Germany), Estonian Life Science University (Tartu, Estonia), and the city of Mazara del Vallo in cooperation with international partners.
If you are interested to participate in the school, we kindly ask you to fill in the online application form: https://forms.gle/f2zUr6cm8NpCJcwY8